I got a job about a month ago working for a parking company that works the parking lots for the UNC basketball games and other events. Its a pretty nice job; I just stand around for a couple hours, then go watch a UNC basketball game, then stand around some more.
On Wednesday, I worked the UNC v. NC State game, and I was assigned to the hospital parking lot. I had to stop every car that tried to come into the lot and ask them if they were going to the hospital or the game. If they said they were going to the game, I had to direct them to another lot. Its a really interesting case study for the sociology (or psychology) of lying. Because these people could probably lie to me, tell me that they were going to the hospital, and there's not much I could do. But most people were honest. Now, I know how to tell whether a person is going to a basketball game or not, usually. If they are decked out in Carolina blue, with their three kids in the back, I'm betting their going to the game. But there was one man, who was not wearing blue, who was all by himself, and so he could have told me that he was going to the hospital and I would not have questioned him. But he was honest, and told me that he was going to the game. It was so reassuring. Nowadays, we think that the whole world is corrupted and evil (which generally it is), but its nice to know that there are some honest people who will not lie and tell me that they are visiting a dying grandmother just so that they can get free parking to the basketball game.
No comments:
Post a Comment