I think one of my favorite parts about the Olympics are the little background stories about the athletes. Oh, and the underdogs. You gotta love those underdogs. But an example of a background story: Visa had a commercial about a speed skater (a few years back) whose sister died just hours before his race. He had promised her that he would win gold, but he ended up slipping and falling. But six years later he came back to the Olympics, won gold, and took his daughter on the victory lap. His daughter was named after his sister. Isn't that just awesome? And the Olympics is full of those stories. Really, the Olympics is just a gathering of amazing athletes who (almost) all have had various struggles, whether its the fact that they had no training facilities in their country (like that swimmer a while back who only trained in a hotel pool) or family illness or financial issues or whatever. But they all come to the Olympics, and prove that they (and all of us) can overcome that, and fulfill your dreams.
So whenever I hear that Olympic theme song (you know what I'm talking about), I just get so excited, whether I'm about to watch figure skating, the luge, bobsledding, or even the biathlon (which has got to be the weirdest sport ever). Maybe someday I'll be able to actually go to the Olympics. But for now, I'll just be glued to nbc.com and my friend's television.
No comments:
Post a Comment