Today I went home to celebrate Mother's Day, and had a lovely dinner with my family. Then we had Mom open her presents.
Kim was taking pictures, trying to "capture the moment", except that she kept missing the moment and had to get Mom to recreate it. This of course meant that the pictures are much more dramatic (and therefore more hilarious) than the actual moment.
So Mom got this package from my sister and brother-in-law, which contained a small jewelry box. She opened that to reveal a bracelet with a charm, and a note that said "The surprise is on the pendant!"
Mom can't read small writing without her glasses, and she didn't have a pair nearby, so Dad graciously volunteered to read the pendant.
He took it, and paused, and said "This is shiny, it's a little hard to read..." another pause "It says: Great moms (pause) get promoted (pause) to (pause) grandmas".
Mom, Kim, and I: "Nu-uh, it doesn't say that"
Dad: "You don't believe me? Well here, Jamie can read it, you read it Jamie"
Me: (take pendant) "Oh. Yeah. Actually, that is what it says!" (kinda wish there was a picture of my face as I realized what it said and what that meant)
All of us dissolved into laughter, and Dad kept saying that we didn't believe him at first, how come we couldn't believe him at first, he always tells it straight. And then Kim and I started planning baby things we could buy, and arguing over who is going to be the favorite aunt (we decided I can be the favorite aunt, and Kim can be the favorite grasshopper. Dad's joke, I can't take credit for that).
Basically, we're all pretty happy and excited. I think this was a perfect way to break the news -- celebrate Mom's day with an announcement of motherhood.
So Happy Mother's Day, Mom. You're the best Mom anyone could ever have. I've learned so much from you, and everyday I realize more and more the wisdom that you have. Hopefully someday I can pass on that wisdom. For now I'll just try to live up to what you (and Dad) have taught me.
No comments:
Post a Comment