Well, I want to go on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
The funny thing is, most people's follow-up question isn't why I want to go. Usually they ask where I want to go (answer: I'd be happy anywhere...but there are a couple places that might be a little more cool than other places).
But I want to answer that first question. Why do I want to go on a mission? I mean, it's not required. It is going to be the hardest two years of my life. I will be rejected. I will have doors slammed in my face (most likely). I will face blisters, long hours, sickness, companions that I don't love as much as others, bad weather, and any number of other conditions that are unfavorable. I will have heartache when those I teach choose not to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. I may lead people to baptism only to have them fall away later.
Not only will I go through all of this while on my mission, but I will miss out on some prime years of my life (that's what your early twenties are supposed to be, right?). I'll miss out on friends getting married, babies being born. I'll miss out on my Tar Heels winning another National Championship (oh, yeah, it's gonna happen). The world won't stop spinning because I'm gone.
So. Why do I want to go on a mission?
Because I have felt the joy the gospel brings. I have seen the joy the gospel brings to others. I have seen the changes it has brought in my own life, as well as others.
Because I know that I am a child of God, and I want others to know that too. I know that Christ is my Savior, and I want others to know that too. I know that the Book of Mormon can bring people closer to their Heavenly Father and Christ, that it can help bring the influence of the Holy Ghost.
Because I want to spread the love the gospel brings. That's what the gospel is about, really. God's love for us (so He sent His Son, so that we may return to live with Him), our love for him (which we can show when we choose to follow Him), and our love for each other (which we can show by helping each other return to Him).
Because the Lord is truly bringing forth a "marvelous work", and I can be a part of it (D&C 4).
Because I know that a mission can help me become the person I want to become. It will serve as a North Star for the rest of my life (if I allow it to).
Yes, it will be hard. But if I get to touch at least one person's life (even if it's just my own), I think it will be one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment