I miss letters. Real letters, that you check the mailbox for. Real letters that are sealed with wax. (Ironic that I’m typing this, I know). Maybe if I pretend I’m writing a letter to a pen-pal, it’ll be easier to write a journal. You know, like Anne Frank, or that Czechslovakian girl that we had to read in 6th grade (What was that book called? I just remember not liking it). Or I want a pen-pal that I become best friends with, without ever having met them, ala Julia Child and Avis. (Side note: there’s a book that is a collection of their letters; I started reading it in the bookstore. Very enjoyable, particularly if you read Julia’s letters in her high-pitched voice).
On the other hand, it is nice to be able to communicate instantaneously, via email, text, and facebook. But there’s something charming about letters. Like you can put your real feelings in them or something. Like the person’s handwriting adds a whole new dimension, a whole new layer.
And there’s something about the way the English language transpires through letter writing as opposed to texts or emails. No one would dare write “LOL”. They only type it. There’s an eloquence and elegance to letter writing.
Anyway, this post really had no point, except to serve as some procrastination. I’ll just send it into the void (echo echo echo).
2 comments:
Was the book about the Czechoslovakian girl "Number the Stars"? I remember reading that one a while ago, too.
No, I loved that book (I think that girl was from Denmark, or Holland). I just tried google and wikipedia to find the book I'm talking about, and I can't find it. Hm.
Post a Comment